22 January 2024

Review: DNA Academy: Genetic Genealogy for Beginner's and Intermediate

Image by Arek Socha from Pixabay

Over the weekend, I completed the DNA Academy: Genetic Genealogy for Beginner's and Intermediate course at learn.trace.com, My goal was simple: learn more about DNA and how to better utilize it in my own research. This course did not disappoint!

I prefer to learn in an organized format. While there are certainly plenty of free online resources about DNA and working with it, I wanted something a little more structured. The self-paced course included 29 modules and covered everything I needed. From the basics necessary to understand DNA and how it's inherited, to ethnicity, endogamy and ethics, and how to best use DNA matches to further your research (including special situations) - all the major concepts were addressed. You also learn about phasing, clustering, and triangulation (both pedigree and segment). They highlight potential limitations and suggest where various additional types of DNA testing may (or may not) prove useful. There are also modules on using specific sites, tools and resources for working with DNA results and matches. Some modules also include case studies. Many handouts and forms are provided for download to assist with future research. For the most utilized research forms, video tutorials are presented on how to use them properly and efficiently. At completion, you'll retain access to review the course whenever you need to brush up on your skills, or to review any newly added content to the course.

While they estimated 5 weeks to complete the program, it took me about 8 (oh the convenience of self-paced!) According to the tracker on the site, I spent about 15 hours of dedicated time on the course (not including the time I scurried off to practice the skills as I learned, and fell down the occasional research rabbit hole along the way). Given the price tag of $250 for the course, it's a fairly cost efficient option. It's certainly far more economical than hiring a professional to assist. And if using your DNA results (or the results of those you're helping) more effectively can save you countless hours of spinning your wheels, it's a win in my book.

There are skills assessments in many of the modules to ensure you're understanding the material as you're working through the course. At completion, there's a final (slightly longer) skills assessment and if you get a passing score, you'll receive a certificate of completion. I finished with 90% and I'm eagerly awaiting an email with my certificate attached. Does the certificate actually get you anything? No, not really... just the satisfaction of knowing you passed the course. I suppose you could list it as a continuing education course, but I personally don't have a genealogy "resume", so for me it's strictly personal gratification.

Was there anything missing from the course? Not really. Though it's a genetic genealogy course, I'd still have liked to see a module addressing using DNA for forensic genealogy, including ethics and practices. I know I have family and friends who won't take a DNA test because they're worried about their DNA being used nefariously by law enforcement or forensic genealogy companies. I readily admit, forensic genealogy is a totally separate branch of the genealogy tree, but some basic knowledge as a part of this program might help course takers spread more accurate information as they converse with others. This is just my opinion - the course is very well rounded as far as genetic genealogy goes. Not having this topic in no way diminishes the value of the course.

If you're not ready to invest in a course to learn more about working with DNA, below are some great free resources**:

So, did I break down any brick walls? No, not yet. For my biggest brick wall, I may need to wait for more DNA test takers to appear and/or investigate matches more thoroughly on some of the other sites where I've uploaded my DNA. Do I feel more confident about using my DNA matches? Yes, 100% I do! Do I recommend the course? If you have a desire to know more about DNA and working with results and matches (and you don't mind paying for a course)  then yes, I absolutely recommend it wholeheartedly! 

**Links to useful resources and sites mentioned in my posts can always be found on my Toolbox and Blogs To Follow pages.

Image by Arek Socha from Pixabay

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are appreciated! To reduce spam, all comments are moderated. Your comment will appear after review.