28 July 2023

Myth of the Cherokee Ancestor

 

Image by Orange Fox from Pixabay
My journey began with the myth (now almost 100% disproven) of a Cherokee ancestor. (For the elaborate story, my family's supposed secret, read How My Journey Began).  As I came to find out, many families have the same (or a similar) story about having Native American roots. Perhaps it's simply the twists and turns oral histories take, maybe it's embellishment for intrigue, or perhaps it's simply wishful thinking...but for some, it's reality.

Looking back on my research experience and the brick wall I just couldn't break down (for good reason), I should have done DNA testing sooner. For me, DNA disproved my family myth. I don't have a speck of Native American DNA in my Ancestry.com ethnicity results. OK sure, is it possible the DNA ancestor was so far removed I just don't have any of the DNA passed down to me? Sure, yes, it's theoretically possible. Is it possible not enough Native American DNA samples have been obtained? Yes, again, it's theoretically possible. But based on the story and the approximate number of generations, it's highly unlikely. I trust the science and I've accepted my myth was false. For some, DNA may prove a Native American family story or may even show an unexpected Native American result. If I were starting my journey with the full benefit of hindsight, I'd make DNA testing the first step in my journey. 

Either way, searching for Native American ancestors can be challenging. One of the great sites I came across as I tried to find my non-existent Native American ancestor was Cherokee By Blood. This TNGenWeb special project page contains helpful information for those searching for their Cherokee roots. As they aptly note, it may not be an easy journey. Even if oral histories are accurate, paper trails may not be so easy to find...or follow. It may take considerable work to verify.

Cherokee By Blood offers up many resources to help the family historian in search of Cherokee roots. From rolls, to maps, to migration information, articles and tips to help you fit the puzzle pieces together - this site is a must for those looking for their Cherokee heritage. Even if you're just interested in knowing more about Cherokee history in general, this site has plenty of information to keep you intrigued. Maybe one day, my ethnicity results will change as more people do DNA testing, but at this point, I have high confidence my family story was just that - a story.

Image by Orange Fox from Pixabay

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are appreciated! To reduce spam, all comments are moderated. Your comment will appear after review.