20 July 2026

Ancestry Hints Update: My Notes Are Back!

I posted an update on the original post as well, but thanks to a commenter here at A Tree With No Name, I was made aware sometime between yesterday mid-afternoon (the last time I worked with hints) and now, the checkboxes and comments for accepted/rejected/undecided hints are BACK!!! I am so thankful to the Ancestry development team for fixing this (and I know a lot of others are as well).

As for the rest of the Hints changes, I will adapt. I still wish clicking the person hyperlink on the All Hints page took us directly to the profile but it's not the end of the world. I do understand change is sometimes necessary. 

I've also seen a potentially positive change in how hints are updating. Yesterday, I corrected a birth date on a child who died in infancy. Immediately, hints for people who lived into teenage years and adulthood were removed. I haven't seen this happen widely on other people yet, but potentially the algorithms are being tweaked to provide better overall results. I'll give Ancestry a slight win on this while we wait to see if it's a true change or just a coincidence.

Credit where credit is due—thank you to the Ancestry development team for restoring the user-entered notes so quickly. Let me know how you're finding the changes overall. Are you settling in or are you struggling a little?

Disclosure: I used ChatGPT to assist with a title and search description. Post content is my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are appreciated! To reduce spam, all comments are moderated. Your comment will appear after review.