11 July 2024

Pursuing Knowledge in Genealogy and More on ThoughtCo

Image by Pablo chaves from Pixabay
While I'm not a professional genealogist, I know how crucial it is to continue learning. Knowledge is power (so said Sir Francis Bacon). So how about a great site you may not have heard of before? It's not a research site, but it is an educational site. ThoughtCo "is a premier reference site with a 20+ year focus on expert-created education content." And guess what? They have so many articles on genealogy! And guess what else? It's FREE!

While the link I've included above takes you directly to the genealogy section, if you go to ThoughtCo's homepage, you can select from many, many other categories and topics. Genealogy is found by clicking on Humanities > History & Culture > Genealogy.

They offer articles on genealogy basics, researching in specific areas, tools and how-to's, working with photos, DNA, reunions and the list goes on and on. There's even one article on The Cherokee Princess Myth I wish I'd read before I started my journey. Articles link to additional sites as well as other articles on ThoughCo, so you can continue to expand your knowledge. The writers for this site have advanced degrees in their subject areas, and collectively they've written over 40,000 articles! 

Once you start reading, you may find yourself clicking through to all kinds of interesting topics! Expand the Genealogy section and you'll find subtopics of Basics, Surnames, Genealogy Fun and Vital Records Around the World. Each section has dozens upon dozens of articles. Conveniently, they also have a number of history sections from specific places to time periods. Combine this with the genealogy articles, and you may find yourself tumbling down the rabbit-hole for hours!

I've included ThoughCo.com in my Genealogy Toolbox under Articles, Tips/Tricks, Guides. I hope you'll take a few minutes (or hours if you have time to spare) to check ToughtCo out. Leave a comment or connect with me on social media and let me know what you think of the site.

Image by Pablo chaves from Pixabay

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are appreciated! To reduce spam, all comments are moderated. Your comment will appear after review.